It is considered the oldest institution of technology in the world, which has university rank and structure. The legal predecessor of the university was founded in 1782 by Emperor Joseph II, named Institutum Geometrico-Hydrotechnicum (Institute of Geometry and Hydrotechnics).
The "Berg-Schola", the world's first institution of technology was founded in Selmecbánya Hungary (today Banská Štiavnica, Slovakia) in 1735. Many members of the first teaching staff of BME arrived from Selmecbánya.
Other Institutions existed Count István Széchenyi played a considerable role in industrialization as well as the launch of engineering training in Hungary.
It was reorganized in 1871 as Royal Joseph Technical University and was elevated to equal rank with other universities in the country. It received its current site near Gellért square (next to the Art Nouveau Hotel Gellért) in 1910.
It was reorganized in 1934 as Palatine Joseph University of Technology and Economics and it played a dominant role in the interwar industrialization process besides engineer and economist training in Hungary.
The university was restructured again in the postwar period. The 1956 Hungarian Revolution was partly launched by students of the Technical University, followed by many professors. The two technical universities seated in Budapest were merged in 1967 to form the Technical University of Budapest with six faculties. In 2000 - two years after Faculty of Economic and Social Sciences was established - the official name changed to Budapest University of Technology and Economics. It has approximately 1,100 faculty members and about one-third of its 24,000 students are foreign students from 50 countries. BME issues about 70 percent of Hungary’s engineering degrees.
|Motto in English||
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Péceli Gábor
|Affiliations||EUA, CESAER, IAU, Santander Network, DRC, SEFI, AUF, ISEP, IAESTE, NEPTUN, TIME, Athens Network, BEST, AIESEC, W3C|