Eötvös Loránd University

Attention: open in a new window. E-mail

eotvosThe university was founded in 1635 in Nagyszombat (today Trnava, Slovakia) by the archbishop and theologian Péter Pázmány. Leadership was given over to the Jesuits. At this time, the university only had two colleges (College of Arts and College of Theology).

The College of Law was added in 1667 and the College of Medicine was started in 1769. After the dissolution of the Jesuit order, the university was moved to Buda (a part of Budapest today) in 1777 in accordance with the intention of the founder.The university received its final location in Pest (the other side of today's Budapest) in 1784. The language of education was Latin until 1844, whenHungarian was introduced as an official language. Women have been allowed to enroll since 1895.


It was named University of Budapest (Budapesti Tudományegyetem) until 1921, when it was renamed Pázmány Péter University (not to be confused with Pázmány Péter Katolikus Egyetem, a separate and more recent university). The Science Division started its separate life in 1949. The university received its current name Eötvös Loránd University after the physicist Loránd Eötvös in 1950.


Motto Universitas Budapestinensis de Rolando Eötvös nominata
Motto in English
Established 1635
Type Public
Rector Ferenc Hudecz 
Students 30000
Location Budapest, Hungary
Campus Urban
Affiliations EUA,Coimbra Group,Utrecht Network 

University webpage

Student association          






Other Articles

Add comment

Security code