Franz Liszt Academy of Music

Attention: open in a new window. E-mail

lisztThe Academy was named after its founder only in 1925. Initially christened the "Royal National Hungarian Academy of Music", it was also called "College of Music" from 1919-1925. It was founded in Liszt's home, and relocated to a three-storey Neo-Renaissance building designed by Adolf Láng and built on today's Andrássy street between 1877 and 1879. That location is referred to as "the old Music Academy" and commemorated by a 1934 plaque made by Zoltán Farkas. It was repurchased by the academy in the 1980s, and is now officially known as "the Ferenc Liszt Memorial and Research Center."

Replacing "the old Music Academy", a building was erected in 1907 at Király Street and Ferenc Liszt Square. It serves as a centre for higher education, music training[1], and concert hall. The Art Nouveau style building is one of the most well-known in Budapest. It was designed by Flóris Korb and Kálmán Giergl at the request of Baron Gyula Wlassics, who was the Minister of Culture at that time. The façade is dominated by a statue of Liszt (sculpted by Alajos Stróbl). The inside of the building is decorated with frescoes, Zsolnay ceramics, and several statues (among them that of Béla Bartók and Frédéric Chopin). Originally the building also had stained glass windows, made by Miksa Róth.

Other facilities used by the Academy are the Budapest Teacher Training College, located in the former National Music School on Semmelweis Street, a secondary school (Béla Bartók Secondary Grammar and Technical School of Music), and a student dormitory.


Motto in English
Established 1875
Type Public
Rector Prof. András BATTA 
Students 900
Location Budapest, Hungary
Campus Urban

University webpage

Student association          



Other Articles

Add comment

Security code